For the middterm project I worked both with light and words, two things that I love, though I decided to create and intersection.
In periods of time some words keep in my mind, so I wanted to take them out and visualized them.
The lamp was built in 3 layers, one has the light, the second one has a black paperboard with the words cut so the light can pass through the spaces of the letters.
The third layer is in movement, it is also black paperboard and has some holes. The shapes of the holes are based on some maps, from the places where I have lived. It works with a 360 servo motor, so when it moves you can see some of the words through the gaps. This is controlled by a potentiometer, so the user can control the speed, and also stop it in some specific place.
First I thought to work with a stepper motor, because I wanted to control the speed of the movement, but then I talk to Ben Light and he suggest me to work with a servo motor that also controls speed.
I tried to make it work with a potentiometer through the arduino, but even though I have a good code it didn´t work. So I finally decided to do it with a potentiometer connected direct to the servo motor. It works with batteries.
I put led lights in the first layer with a white paper to reflect light.
The work with the laser cutter takes me a lot of time, the first time I didn´t use the proper material, the paper board was too wide so it didn´t cut good the words, that are very thin. Another important thing, that a 2nd year student told me is that I had to use stencil typography for the words. To be accurate with the center where the servomotor goes is very important, I make some mistakes buy finally get in good port.
The question about the interaction.
The huge question that this project let me in is about interaction. I decide to do a simple interaction but I know there is a lot to explore in terms of interaction.
I want to research more about sensors and also about serial communication and projectors to find more interactive ways to deal with the words, the lights, and their relationship.
It was very beautiful to receive feedback from my classmates. Here some of the suggestions from them (that I will explore in my next project):
- “its seems like there are many different ways to itterate upon this! – speed; words come into focus as user comes”
- “It´d be interesting to have the clock motion remind you of things to think about at certain hours”.
- it would be nice if words only lit up when they were fully visible”.
- “Does the word project an a wall or ceiling?”.
- “I want to see your lamp have more letters. it could see like a constellation. How about adjust light? when you want to go to sleep it became darker”.
- “I wonder whats your thinking about those words and how is it gonna be different by the combination of words. what about express your emotion with color (LED). drawing. sound (music)?”.
- “Would be interested to see how you could incorporate different word cards on different days of your life or for different users”.
- “It might be interesting to have sensors that change based on the enviroment. Like if it changed if people in the room. Or it change based on the time in the day.”
- “I actually like the simplicity, not flashy way of expression. I would suggest not to add too much interaction, to keep the tight personal connection”.
and some nice comments:
“this si beautiful. I like the way you incorporate things that were important to you”. “looks like a physicall poem maker”. “very poetic and lovely. I really like the concept of the object.” ” the design is thoughtful and I like the personal connection”. “I love this. I want one! It´s beautiful!”. “Great fabrication job!”. “Very nice fabrication! I love that you put the outer layer (map) on the bottom part”. “I love the diffused color of the light”.”very nice lamp design, the maps graphics on the first sheet is very delicate!”